Friday 13 June 2014

Viva Italia!

Italy is hot! Venice was humid and Rome was simply too hot. Also, Italians have no customer service, drive like maniacs and speak very poor English. And, their policement think it is funny to send tourists off in completely the wrong direction! It´s definitely been an interesting week.

Venice was incredibly expensive which is why I only stayed a day and a half there. The first afternoon I simply walked in and wandered all over the place. Such an adventure seeing where each bridge and little
alleyway will take you. Of course there were miles of people but that also made it fun, watching people try and figure out where they were! As I went through a square I saw a concert being advertisement and spontaneously decided to go. I think it was probably the best performance of Vivaldi´s Four Seasons I have ever heard. It made my heart want to sing and I couldn´t help but feel so blessed to be there. The thing about Venice was I didn´t feel unsafe walking back through it around 11:30pm. Sadly my hostel had no air
conditioning and I was way too hot overnight and got bitten by mosquitos.

The next day I bought a water taxi pass and headed out to the islands. First though, I had to use my map to actually get me through the maze of Venice. What a nightmare! I joined the throngs of people searching
Burano
fruitlessly for street names or trying to find street names on my map. Eventually made it to the ferry though very hot and flustered. Was definitely pleased that no one was with me otherwise there would have been some shouting I think!. Murano is the first island and, while it was interesting to see them making their famous glass, I still found it full of tourists. Burano, on the other hand, was a joy. First of all, a sea breeze! And secondly, fewer people. The houses are all brightly coloured and the place actually has a lived in feel. I was very happy to stretch out under a tree and eat ice cream and simply relax in a very awesome place.

On the plane to Rome, the man sitting next to me proposed marriage and that I move back with him to Nigeria. I think he was a little put out when I refused!

Rome, all roads lead to Rome. Hot and full of people and definitely not as nice as Venice. I felt constantly watched and assessed as a target. While nothing happened, it felt like it could have. Having no real ideas about what I wanted to see, I had a nice day on the hop-on, hop-off bus. The Colosseum was cool but not mind-blowing. The next day I went into the Vatican and was glad I was inside as the temperature climbed above 35. SO many people. I was also pleased I went with a guide and skipped the line for the Vatican and St Peters.
Inside the Vatican Map Room
That extra 20 euro saved me four hours standing in a line. The Vatican was incredible and I spent most of the time taking pictures of the ceiling! So ornate and different in every room. The rooms painted by Raphael and his students were amazing but of course the highlight was The Sistine Chapel. Now, I´m not normally affected by art but walking in there made me want to cry. Shame that people couldn´t respect the silence rule though. And having "SILENCIO" come booming over the speakers wasn´t helping! Note:
One wall of the Raphael room
you cannot go into a church with your shoulders and knees bare but they don´t care how low your top is.

My final day I took the train out to Ostia Antica. Now this was cool. The place has been around since 1400 BC and they have excavated this huge city. You can see their temples, baths, houses, markets, bakery, grainery and ampitheater. I had a very relaxed day working my way from shady spot, to shady spot exploring the place. Again, very hot and I think I went through about 4 litres of water in 2 hours.
Ostia Antica
Ampitheater

  

Got up at 4am this morning and flew to Barcelona where the temperatures haven´t improved. I´m looking forward to the UK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.