Monday 9 June 2014

The hills are alive...

Salzburg cathedral
Finally made it to a hostel with a computer so I can let you all know how things are going. When I arrived in Salzburg it was late afternoon so not time to see the main attractions. I decided instead to climb the little hill near the hostel in the hope of a good view. 600m high and 2 hours later I didn’t have much of a view but I had enjoyed the walk through the forest and then coming back down I followed the old city wall and had  a great time exploring. There was basically nobody around and I was perfectly happy until the early evening thunderstorm hit. The next day I explored the old city including Mozart’s house, the home of the former Prince-Archbishops (the opulence was a little crazy) and St Peter’s cemetery and catacombs. Salzburg wasn’t quite as pretty as I was expecting but the people were super friendly and heaps of people wearing dirndls! I did have one incident while in the bus and the bus driver insisted on talking to me. I think I understood about 20% of his German accent and guessed about 60%...



I am 16 going on 17...
In the afternoon I went on a Sound of Music tour (of course). Soundtrack blaring, whole bus singing, out into the mountains - doesn’t get much better than that! The next day I was up early and went up the Untersberg, the tallest mountain near Salzburg. While taking a gondola to the top of the 1776m high peak feels like cheating, I have to admit it was very practical.Once up there, there are plenty of trails you can take and I spent a very happy couple of hours up there. Surrounded by snowy Alps and silence is where I feel close to God. Where  my soul feels a peace and I can re-charge my batteries. I could easily have spent more time up there.

Watch where you sit!
I also visited Hellbrunn Palace built as a pleasure palace by a Prince-Archbishop with a crazy sense of humour. All through the gardens are hidden jets that he could turn on unsuspecting guests. The best being at the dinner table where water would come up through a hole in your seat. I don’t think you’d accept an invitation from this guy twice! In the evening I wandered through the 11th  century fortress and had my first ever dinner out alone. I was going to a chamber music concert and dinner was included but it was certainly a little odd sitting in a restaurant by myself.  The Mozart concert was amazing and I left Salzburg very happy with the start of my trip.


The Untersberg

Salzburg fortress

2 comments:

  1. Sitting here remembering my time... we've both been to similar places. Glad you found Hellbrunn, but you were smarter than me. I was there on a chilly autumn day! Did you know that that castle has the worlds longest long drop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds so great Anna!
    Sound of Music Bus tour is definitely on my bucket list :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.