Thursday 26 June 2014

London and Galway




I arrived in London and was met by my cousin Raywin who took me to the Victoria and Albert Museum. They had a fantastic exhibition on wedding dresses through the ages plus ones wore by celebrities. We had so much fun seeing how the fashion had changed and some of the crazy things celebrities thought would be acceptable! There was also a fashion overview and I'm always happy to see the old-fashioned dresses! In the evening we went to see Julius Caesar at The Globe. Seeing a Shakespeare play there has been a dream since I disovered A Midsummer Night's Dream at age 13. The atmosphere was incredible and I was smiling ear to ear when we walked in. I sat right up the top so couldn't quite see everything but it didn't matter at all. I loved the play and wish I lived in London so I could go every time they put on a play! The next day we visited 221B Baker street (yes, I'm a Sherlock fan) and I went on the London Eye. Stunning views and fun to be up so high. In the evening we went to Evensong at Westminster Abbey which was beautiful. The choir were lovely although we sat in shock as some people got up and left halfway through! Tut tut...
"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears"

The Globe
I flew on an early flight to Dublin and had an upset stomach when I arrived. By the time I got to Galway in the afternoon had developed aches and shivers so I took myself off to bed. The next day I still wasn't feeling great so took it slowly just walking around the town. Very quiet and peaceful place though plenty of buskers on the streets. Everyone was super friendly and happy to help if I got lost. The weather stayed amazing and I happily sat down at the beach in the sunshine! In the evening I went to an Irish music concert where one of the top Irish bands was recording a live album. Heaps of fun, really relaxed, they took questions and requests from the audience and plenty of super good music. On Tuesday I decided to go out to the Aran Islands despite still feeling average and had a wonderful day. Couldn't believe it was still sunny and really enjoyed the bike along the coast of Inishmore (the largest of the islands). The dry-stone walls, ruined churches and prehistoric fort all screamed Ireland at me and I was perfectly happy. The fort is at the highest point and you can walk right up to the cliff edge and look straight down hundreds of metres down to the sea below. Handy for disposing of your enemies and would never be allowed in NZ. Where was the safety barrier???
Galway Beach


Galway Bay

On Inishmore





Inishmore
Looking down from the fort


When I got back to the hostel I was shivering again and threw up my dinner so I took myself down to the hospital about 8pm. Saw the triage nurse at 10pm and then waited through the night to see the doctor at 6am the next day. Not the best night of my life. Thankfully just a viral infection and an upset stomach so good to know it isn't anything worse. I'm down in Killarney now with Anna Fielding and feeling much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.